The Enneagram combines spiritual wisdom and psychology to help us notice the motivational core of our auto-pilot unaware self. It helps us discover the ‘whys’ behind many of our positive and negative behaviors. We tend to follow the same reactive patterns, learned behavior, and habits since childhood. The Enneagram can help you unravel layers you’ve hung onto that once kept you safe, but no longer serve you. Then you can freely walk in the purpose you were created for.
The unique perspective I bring to the Enneagram is by utilizing this tool through a gospel centered approach. As we begin to unravel the walls and layers you have created over your lifetime, you need to move from shaky ground to an unshakable one. This unshakable ground is found in the Word and person Jesus. This means as we deal with core motives, fears, and desires we will bring in truth to anchor your growth.
“Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.” – Romans 12:2
Questions and Mistakes
Why types? I don’t want to be labeled.
- You might feel as though getting typed boxes you in. The reality is you get into behavior patterns, thinking and reacting on automatic pilot. Learning to understand why you do what you do helps you get out of that behavior, climbing out of the box you have put yourself in. You are much more than a number, you are uniquely and purposefully made by the creator of the universe. The Enneagram is a powerful tool toward growth and personal development.
Motivations NOT Behavior.
- Okay so you have listened or read an overview of all the 9 Enneagram types. As you try to discover your type or try to type others (don’t do that) you pay attention to behaviors and see if they line up, and while this is useful for other personality profiling, the Enneagram wants you to look at WHY you behave and make the decisions you do. Please do not solely look at behavior. The symptoms can seems similar but the root is completely different for each individual. This is why coaching can be so useful. It can be hard to know what the underlying motivations, fears, or desires are underneath our actions.
To take the test or to not take the test.
- What most tests do not tell you is that they are 40-60% accurate. Which is why I do not recommend my clients take the test first. I have found very few people to find their true type through a test, although it is possible depending on how well you know yourself and how honest you are. But more than test accuracy, you get the opportunity to do more of the work to get to your core, and learn on the journey of discovery and growth. We want such a quick here and now answer but if you want to get the most out of the Enneagram and life transformation it’s always better to do the work.
How can it bring personal transformation?
- Once you understand your motivations, you can begin to let go of your core needs you’ve been trying to obtain from the world, and freely receive them from God.You stop making decisions from this lie, and dwell in truth.
- When you walk in this truth, you can freely love and extend forgiveness to yourself and those around you. You can be at ease in your own skin, quickly recognize your triggers before reacting, and you are more present. Walking in this freedom creates space for more praise, creativity, joy, compassion, and healthy relationships.